Dermaplaning is a well-known, safe and effective procedure for helping the facial skin look and feel at its very best. Dermaplaning removes old, dead skin cells, fine facial hair and old scars from acne and other causes and leaves the skin looking and feeling fresh and young again.
This article reviews what you need to know about dermaplaning so you can decide if this is the right procedure to choose for your needs and goals.
General Introductions and Benefits of a Dermaplaning Treatment
Dermaplaning is very popular today with reality television stars and other celebrities. The reasons are simple: dermaplaning can be completed quickly, has no side effects or complications, and delivers amazing results.
Some patients hear the word “dermaplaning” and associate it with “dermabrasion.” It is important to clarify that the two procedures have nothing in common! Dermaplaning, unlike dermabrasion, is a trusted staple treatment for licensed cosmetologists, dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons today.
Dermaplaning can be used to treat a number of skin issues, including the following:
- Scarring from acne or other reasons.
- Excess of fine hair on the face.
- Removal of old, dead skin cells.
- Reduce the appearance of large pores, skin discoloration, fine lines.
- Remedy dry, dull skin.
- Clear up the clogging from blackheads and whiteheads.
- Stimulate new skin cell growth for younger-looking skin.
The Dermaplaning Procedure
Dermaplaning is safe, effective and easy. Dermaplaning is an outpatient procedure that takes about a half hour to complete, so it can be done on your lunch hour from work if need be. Patients say the dermaplaning procedure is completely painless. In fact, to the casual observer, a patient receiving dermaplaning might appear instead to be simply receiving a close shave from a particularly meticulous barber!
Here is what to expect during a dermaplaning procedure:
- You will schedule your appointment and arrive on time the day of.
- Your practitioner will gently clean your skin before beginning dermaplaning.
- Using a knife with a No. 10 surgical blade made of stainless steel, your practitioner will gently feather the blade across your facial skin. You must hold completely still during this part!
- Following your procedure, your practitioner will apply a moisturizing sunscreen agent to your skin.
- You are free to return to work and daily life immediately.
Candidates Who are a Good Fit for Dermaplaning
The best candidates for dermaplaning have some level of superficial skin damage or scarring that they wish to remedy, but are otherwise healthy. Dermaplaning is also an excellent choice for women who are pregnant and cannot use any chemicals or peeling agents to support healthier looking skin.
Dermaplaning candidates should take care to stay out of the sun before and after their procedure so skin is not compromised. This is especially important following the procedure, as dermaplaning will stimulate your facial skin to create more collagen, a protein that contributes to younger looking, more hydrated skin.
NOTE: Dermaplaning candidates who are currently under the care of a dermatologist for any skin conditions should consult with their provider before scheduling a dermaplaning procedure.
Dr Mark and Alvin Glasgold, Diane and Office Staff,
The world of thanks!!!
Recovery from the Dermaplaning Procedure
The best news about dermaplaning is that there is no down time required for recovery. Skin won’t even look irritated, inflamed or red, so co-workers and family members won’t know what has suddenly rejuvenated and revitalized your skin. And there is no discomfort and no need for application of any special topical creams or solutions following the procedure.
However, it is not recommended to have the dermaplaning procedure done more than once every 30 days, because the process removes any dead or damaged skin cells from the prior three week period.
What to Expect in a Dermaplaning Consultation
During a dermaplaning consultation, your provider will do a thorough skin exam and talk with you about your objectives and goals for the dermaplaning procedure. You will also be able to get all of your questions answered in the consultation.
Your provider will also ask you if you have any allergies (an allergy to nickel is important to mention) and ask you to sign a consent to treatment form that includes disclosure of any possible issues to consider. However, your provider will also make you aware that there are no known dermaplaning side effects at this time.
Once you have finished your consultation and completed any necessary paperwork, you can schedule the date and time for your dermaplaning procedure.
Why Choose The Glasgold Group
Dermaplaning is a complex and custom procedure that requires a high level of skill and knowledge to perform properly. At the Glasgold Group, our surgeons have decades of experience while patients and peers alike respect them for the beautiful, natural-looking results they produce consistently. By choosing the Glasgold Group for your procedure, you can expect results of the highest caliber and the knowledge that your safety and satisfaction are top priorities.
- Dr. Robert and Dr. Mark Glasgold are double board-certified by the American Board of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, as well as, the American Board of otolaryngology head and neck surgery.
- Both are Fellowship directors of the American Academy of facial plastic surgery.
- Dr. Mark Glasgold is a Castle Connolly top doctor
- Dr. Robert and Dr. Mark Glasgold are fellow of the American college of surgeons.
- Both have earned the honor as monthly plastic surgery select best doctors.
If you have questions about dermaplaning, we invite you to visit us online at www.glasgoldgroup.com/contact or call us at 1-732-846-6540 to schedule your consultation.